What starter needs HAVE to be filled?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m taking JPJ before both Kingsley and Guyton. Heck I would take Morgan before both.
I keep on returning to the fact that running the football helps the QB and the offense the most. It even keeps the defense fresh on the sidelines. The biggest question is, will the Cowboys be comfortable with JPJ's medicals?

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am pretty confident they will draft an lineman in the first round. As good as Zach Martin is, at his age he is on a year to year basis now. Just how the game works. That would leave us longterm with one plus offensive lineman. They need to find more younger talent on the line if they have any hope to being a good team moving forward.

Dallas tends to like the size/speed athletes. So I would look for one that exceeds those measurables with the first round pick. I think Mims would be a real good bet if he falls.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It takes time to get used to doing everything the other way, remember Tyron spent his entire rookie season on the right side. Honestly, I do not see much of a difference in Mims, Guyton, Kinsley they all are traits based prospects that need some development, especially in the run game. Question is, do you take the 7-9 tackle or the #1 or #2 Center? I would lean more towards Center as they have to improve their run game and there are a few LT fa's still on the open market, but no centers: Bakhtari, Becton, Donovan Smith, etc. Outside of Connor Williams really no fa Centers worth signing.
In this class OT 7 might be a 1st rounder.

Im a huge Barton fan so have problems with him at 24 but JPJ has some injury concerns.

Have you watched Guyton vs FSU and Mims vs OSU? Man that tape makes me feel much better about those guys at 24 as they had great reps against studs.

I also really like the Cs from PSU and WIS as mid rounders.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In this class OT 7 might be a 1st rounder.

Im a huge Barton fan so have problems with him at 24 but JPJ has some injury concerns.

Have you watched Guyton vs FSU and Mims vs OSU? Man that tape makes me feel much better about those guys at 24 as they had great reps against studs.

I also really like the Cs from PSU and WIS as mid rounders.
Mims is all about health, heard Guyton plays up and plays down to competition.

I am a big fan of the top 3 centers, however, am scared about JPJ's medicals. I think the longer you wait, you are going to find centers who are more like Biaz. The top three all have the potential to be studs at the position. For me it's all about fixing our run game and worry about pass protection later.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Mims is all about health, heard Guyton plays up and plays down to competition.

I am a big fan of the top 3 centers, however, am scared about JPJ's medicals. I think the longer you wait, you are going to find centers who are more like Biaz. The top three all have the potential to be studs at the position. For me it's all about fixing our run game and worry about pass protection later.
That’s fair on the OTs…

If we find a C like Tyler B mid rounds that’s a homerun IMO. I know some fans didn’t love him but he was a borderline pro bowler.

I’d love to improve the run game too but you win in the playoffs throwing the ball and playing defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s fair on the OTs…

If we find a C like Tyler B mid rounds that’s a homerun IMO. I know some fans didn’t love him but he was a borderline pro bowler.

I’d love to improve the run game too but you win in the playoffs throwing the ball and playing defense.
I disagree, run game travels, takes pressure off the QB and keeps our defense fresh on the sidelines. Look at the Murray team when we lost to the Packers on the Dez catch, we had an awful defense but they were in every game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Problem is that they put themselves in this situation by totally ignoring free agency and not adjusting any contracts. Could of easily restructured a player like Diggs who is apart of their long-term core to be able to retain a Tyron, Hankins.

As for the OL, we saw 2 backups play, Bass playing the most out of the group. Bass, an undrafted fa, was solid against the run, but really struggled in pass pro. Hoffman is a player who was on our ps 2 years ago and is a backup at best. Richards look good in camp, but they didn't trust him at all during the season. They HAVE to come away with at least 1 impact starter in the draft or you are looking at a worse OL then last year, where it wasn't good to begin with.

I cannot see them going into next season without a legitimate #1 type of back. Sure, Dowdle/Davis could serve as the #2 back.

Those two areas are a priority and we haven't even discussed defense yet with just 3 picks.
We're lucky if we get two solid starters in the draft. When was the last time Dallas hit on their first 3 picks? Not in a long time. In fact, I'd use the 3rd round pick to move up from 55 to 41 and pick up one of those borderline 1st rounders that might fall. Most of the holes are going to be filled with UFAs anyway.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The way the Cowboys handled this offseason, they just cannot go into the draft to take the best player available. With limited picks and so many needs, unfortunately this is set up for a need draft, which usually gets teams in trouble. When you look at the entire starting roster, what starter needs do they have to fill?

Offensive Line-2 starters left via fa. Nobody knows how high management is on their young prospects in house.
Running Back-Dowdle, Duece, Davis aren't quality #1 type of backs, they are better used within a rotation or #2 or #3 types.
Wide Receiver-their #3 receiver is no longer on the roster and Jalen Tolbert has failed to make an impact in 2 seasons.

Nose Tackle-all they really have is Mazi Smith who is coming off a disappointing rookie season. All they have behind him is a journeyman Carl Davis.
Linebacker-you would think the team has their 3 starters in place with Kendricks, Overshown, Clark.

Do they double dip on offensive line within the 1st three picks?
Do they use a top 100 pick at running back?
Will they address NT/LB or WR with a top 100 pick?

The more I think about this draft, with Dak/MM on prove it years, management is going to give them everything they need on that side of the football. This draft class is going to look offensive heavy early on, with a ton of defensive depth late. My final mock will be coming out this weekend to support this.
I think the only have-tos are center and running back. There are a lot of need-tos, but IMO, we have potential starters or get-by players there.

I think we can figure out LT/LG adequately with Tyler, Richards and Bass. I don't think we can do that at center because we only have Hoffman. If he sucks, then the line crumbles. I think there's potential here with Richards and Bass.

I think we can figure out third receiver with Tolbert and Turpin in particular. Doesn't mean we'll figure it out greatly with those two and a few others on roster, but enough to get by, and there's some potential here with Tolbert and Brooks.

I don't think we can say we can get by at RB with Dowdle, Freeman, Vaughn, etc. Maybe we can, but we don't have a proven starter in the bunch. And I'm not sure we have much potential. We know what Dowdle and Freeman are at this point.

I think we can get by at DE with Williams and Lawrence as the starters (and Parsons playing there on passing downs, of course) and need to see if Williams can live up to his draft value. I also think if needed we can get by with the depth there with Golston and Fehoko (more run-down players at DE than pass rushers).

I think we can get by starterwise at DT with Mazi and Odighizuwa. Osa was good but not great at 3-tech last year and Mazi is all about potential. We don't have much depth, though, esp. if Golston and Fehoko end up back at end, so we've got to add a DT at some.

Depth may be an issue at CB as well. We no doubt have our top three in Diggs, Bland and Lewis, and we did like what Scott was showing in camp last year. However, even with that, it's questionable after the top three.

I feel better about linebacker than some do. We've got starters in Kendricks and Parsons and competition for the other starting spot with Overshown and Clark. In the nickel, we'll also more than likely play Bell there. Could use more depth.

I think safety and tight end are the two positions we don't need to spend a pick on. I also don't think we address QB at this point with Dak, Lance and Rush.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the only have-tos are center and running back. There are a lot of need-tos, but IMO, we have potential starters or get-by players there.

I think we can figure out LT/LG adequately with Tyler, Richards and Bass. I don't think we can do that at center because we only have Hoffman. If he sucks, then the line crumbles. I think there's potential here with Richards and Bass.

I think we can figure out third receiver with Tolbert and Turpin in particular. Doesn't mean we'll figure it out greatly with those two and a few others on roster, but enough to get by, and there's some potential here with Tolbert and Brooks.

I don't think we can say we can get by at RB with Dowdle, Freeman, Vaughn, etc. Maybe we can, but we don't have a proven starter in the bunch. And I'm not sure we have much potential. We know what Dowdle and Freeman are at this point.

I think we can get by at DE with Williams and Lawrence as the starters (and Parsons playing there on passing downs, of course) and need to see if Williams can live up to his draft value. I also think if needed we can get by with the depth there with Golston and Fehoko (more run-down players at DE than pass rushers).

I think we can get by starterwise at DT with Mazi and Odighizuwa. Osa was good but not great at 3-tech last year and Mazi is all about potential. We don't have much depth, though, esp. if Golston and Fehoko end up back at end, so we've got to add a DT at some.

Depth may be an issue at CB as well. We no doubt have our top three in Diggs, Bland and Lewis, and we did like what Scott was showing in camp last year. However, even with that, it's questionable after the top three.

I feel better about linebacker than some do. We've got starters in Kendricks and Parsons and competition for the other starting spot with Overshown and Clark. In the nickel, we'll also more than likely play Bell there. Could use more depth.

I think safety and tight end are the two positions we don't need to spend a pick on. I also don't think we address QB at this point with Dak, Lance and Rush.
I agree about center and running back are must needs where we could get by in other areas but definitely need to upgrade depth

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree about center and running back are must needs where we could get by in other areas but definitely need to upgrade depth
Right, and I'm not meaning we can get by as in compete to be Super Bowl champ, just that we could not have a huge drop-off and maybe even end up with a slight improvement at some of those positions. Players like Michael Gallup didn't exactly set the bar high for their replacements.

I know that a lot of fans (including me) are disappointed with this offseason, but the core we've got should have us in contention to make the playoffs again and possibly win the East. We're not bereft of talent. We just have not done anything to improve the talent while other teams that were as good or better than us have. Not sure that will be enough for Washington and New York to close the gap. Philly might move back in front of us, though. I just don't think the others have the QB play to do it unless the rookies they will draft at that position hit the ground running.

Last edited:

tm1119

Reaction score
Starters

At least 1 o-line spot (really should be 2, but I’ll be generous)

RB

WR- I don’t see a WR3 on the roster

Not starters, but key contributors

DE- we lost a ton of snaps at DE and Sam Williams is the only guy available to step up.

DT- Osa, Mazi, Carl Davis, Fehoko/Golston is objectively horrible.

CB- Is any of our depth remotely reliable if 1 of Diggs/Bland/Lewis goes down?

LB- Same as CB

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Center and RB are the top must haves.

I feel better about Tyler at LT than I do Hoffman at C. Bass can play LG.

Rb room is awful. Unfortunately the draft isn't great for that either.

I don't think they will, but I would also focus on DT and WR in this draft

cnuball21

Reaction score
I disagree, run game travels, takes pressure off the QB and keeps our defense fresh on the sidelines. Look at the Murray team when we lost to the Packers on the Dez catch, we had an awful defense but they were in every game.
You can make an argument 8 of the top 10 rushing leaders last year didn’t make the playoffs or had very little impact once their team got tot the playoffs.

Sure Id like to help the running game but I don’t think us getting a little better there is changing anything in the playoffs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You can make an argument 8 of the top 10 rushing leaders last year didn’t make the playoffs or had very little impact once their team got tot the playoffs.

Sure Id like to help the running game but I don’t think us getting a little better there is changing anything in the playoffs.
I’d add the 49ers C is a JAG not as good as Tyler and they have the best RB in football.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’d add the 49ers C is a JAG not as good as Tyler and they have the best RB in football.
I think we need to stop comparing the Cowboys to other teams. The reason why the Packers crushed us is because they out schemed our defense and took away CeeDee on our offense. It was obvious that our offensive line could not open any holes and the Packers only feared CeeDee. Love said it best on Parsons podcast. The Cowboys have small linebackers and defensive linemen so we ran it down their throat.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think we need to stop comparing the Cowboys to other teams. The reason why the Packers crushed us is because they out schemed our defense and took away CeeDee on our offense. It was obvious that our offensive line could not open any holes and the Packers only feared CeeDee. Love said it best on Parsons podcast. The Cowboys have small linebackers and defensive linemen so we ran it down their throat.
Yea I’m much more worried about the defense than the O.

I was making a comparison to the 49ers bc they have a JAG C and still run the ball very well.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yea I’m much more worried about the defense than the O.

I was making a comparison to the 49ers bc they have a JAG C and still run the ball very well.
The 49ers have a scheme that makes their run game effective. The offensive line is more about chemistry. Letting Tyron go was a message to the offensive line that we can’t tolerate players missing practice and messing up chemistry. I think there is an outside chance that the Cowboys may pass on offensive linemen early if they don’t get the player they want. They are more confident in Bass/ Hoffman then fans and local media.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Look at the final 4 teams, they all had dominate rushing attacks with 3 of them having elite centers, the 4th having an elite scheme. DC's are figuring out how to slow down the passing game, you better be able to run the football to counter that. We already know Dak struggles when teams play extra men in coverage, to counter that is to run the football and force teams to come out of those shell coverages. Last time this Cowboy team was truly legitimate is when teams were scared about stopping the run and being able to get off the field.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The biggest issue on this team by FAR is the front 7. Big fan of Barton and JPJ. Two guys that would be difference makes on the OL. The Tackles that could be available I think are a bit overrated IMO. Traits, and some tape minus real power make for a huge gamble on a pick that you have to nail. Get either Murphy, Newton, JPJ, or Barton and round 1 is a success.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Look at the final 4 teams, they all had dominate rushing attacks with 3 of them having elite centers, the 4th having an elite scheme. DC's are figuring out how to slow down the passing game, you better be able to run the football to counter that. We already know Dak struggles when teams play extra men in coverage, to counter that is to run the football and force teams to come out of those shell coverages. Last time this Cowboy team was truly legitimate is when teams were scared about stopping the run and being able to get off the field.
None of these Tackles are going to help with running the football. Guyton and Kingsley are athletic with a whole lot of work needed to just be decent in the run game. Neither of them are remotely going to be Tyler Smith in that regard. Kick Tyler out to LT and draft Barton or JPJ and slide Bass over to LG.